Saturday, February 23, 2008

Apparently I'm an Avid Sports Fan... Who knew?


So one of my favorite parts of the spring semester is SPORTS!!! In my spare time lately I have found myself at several sporting events. I have friends on most of the sports teams here so going to games is even more special because you can support your friends and BSC at the same time. Allison, Ashley and I went to a basketball game earlier this week and took some signs for our friend Mark. We thought it would be fun to embarrass him so we made these posters with inside jokes ( which no one else probably got but we thought were hilarious!). BSC won this game and over all we have a GREAT record especially considering the fact that we are a brand new team. Both the men's and women's basketball teams have their last home games today so I'm going to go this afternoon.

Speaking of brand new teams, this year is BSC's first time to field a women's lacrosse team. I went to their first game earlier this week too. They played the University of Alabama and beat them 15 to 5!!! I was totally impressed. Oh yeah, we made posters for this game too ( this poster business has just been happening this week- I guess I was in need of a creative outlet or at-least an excuse to doodle with a marker...).

It is weird to think how much controversy there was over the switch we made form D1 to D3. Some people were very upset and some people still are but the switch has been so great in my opinion. I'm not going to lie, I wasn't originally onboard with the idea, but now I'm so glad it happened. We have gotten more sports and more students are able to participate plus the money we had tied up in the D1 program has been distributed to other parts of campus so there is more money to work with for many departments. And did I mention BSC Football!? Go Panthers!! I'm so proud of all of our teams this year- they are laying the foundation for an athletic program of excellence that will be around for years to come at Birmingham- Southern.